Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Cross-Game Integration

Blaugust Day 18


Blizzard has a shit ton of titles.  There's Diablo, Overwatch, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Starcraft, and of course World of Warcraft.  It seems like, more and more, Blizzard are interconnecting these titles.  I'm not sure if that's really a good thing.

Of course, there ARE people who are more than happy to play these titles and like the integration between the games.  I'm just not one of them.  I don't like that, if I want a certain mount, I have to play Hearthstone.  I don't like that I have to buy a collector's edition of a game I don't even play and have no desire to play in order to get a pet.  It hurts me because I love mounts and pets, you guys.  Of course the obvious solution is to not play if I don't want to and don't buy it if I don't want to, and I'm not.  But that doesn't mean I can't complain about it a little!

I think there's also a bit of a gate to new players.  The only Blizzard title I play is World of Warcraft, so if I look at a Hearthstone card or see a WoW character in HotS, I'm going to know where it's from.  But what about people who are coming from no knowledge of Blizzard games? They won't get the references or know the significance of certain characters.  It's a LOT of lore to learn, and sometimes you feel like you have to in order to not sound stupid or to really understand the game.

I wish there was a way to obtain mounts and pets without doing things in other games, but shit I gotta give Blizzard credit where it's due.  Some people will pick up a game they weren't interested in, and maybe they'll like it. Who knows?  Their marketing team definitely deserves a gold star.