Friday, August 7, 2015

Feels Like Home

Blaugust Day 7

I have decided to jump into the Blaugust fray, one full week late. Blaugust is the brainchild of Belghast of Tales of the Aggronaut.  It basically entails writing one post a day for the full week of August.  Obviously I have to catch up so I will probably drop a couple posts in one day to make up the difference. Those will be labeled accordingly, as in if I publish the post for Day 8 tomorrow but I write up another one I will label that as Day 1 and mark the extra posts up until Day 6 to make up the difference? Does that make sense?  It does in my head.

Belghast's initial post.

Today's post is about the games that you don't really play very much anymore, but you've been playing for a long time and you come back to it once in a while and play it for a few days just for feels.  I think almost everyone has a game like that, where playing it feels like coming home or going back to your childhood.  I have a couple.

The first one is The Sims.  I've been playing that game since the very first one, and my favorite expansion has ALWAYS been the supernatural/magic one, no matter if it's Sims 1 or Sims 4.  Yeah, I'm a nerd.  I tend to lose interest in The Sims very quickly, so I play it in spurts.  Every time I come back to it, it's very exciting.  It doesn't really matter which one I play because at this point they always feel the same to me.  I have all of them and I enjoy them all.

The Sims 3

My other game I love to play intermittently is Pharaoh.  The one from waaaay back in the '90s.  I am a huge fan of citybuilders and Sierra's citybuilder series is my absolute favorite.  I love balancing the economy and the war and trade and all that little stuff.  I should be President.  Vote Ocean!

Pharaoh

I've been playing Pharaoh since it came out and a distant cousin burned a copy to disc and sent it to me.  I even bought my own copy with the expansion, Cleopatra, and all the other Sierra citybuilders in a set.  I come back to game once in a while and play it for like a week and it just takes me back to my childhood like nothing else does, not even the Sims.  It's never boring to me.