Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Resto Druid Guide Part 1: Talents

Blaugust Day 2


Oh hey there!  Do you want to play a restoration druid?  I play one!  I like to think I play it fairly well so I'll tell you how to play it.  I am by no means an expert but I do pretty good.  This will be part 1 of a series.  This part is about Talents.  I'll be going through them and recommending the ones to pick.

Talents















This is what my talent tree looks like right now.  A lot of the talents are situational so what you will take dpends on the boss.

1. Level 15 - This one is situational.  If there will be an ability where you have to quickly run away (Like Killrogg Deadeye, with the Heartseeker), the pick Displacer Beast.  I like Feline Swiftness because it gives a flat speed boost all the time and I have the awareness to not screw up those mechanics most of the time.  Just pop Dash and you'll be fine mostly.

2. Level 30 - Generally the consensus seems to be to pick Ysera's Gift.  It heals all by itself all the time, even if you're stunned or otherwise occupied.  Renewal and Cenarion Ward aren't BAD, per se, they're just not as easy as Ysera's Gift.  I like passive talents a lot.  I usually can just pop a Rejuv on myself if I need a quick heal.  Cenarion Ward is just another button to bind and Ironbark is similar so I don't really see the point of them.

3. Level 45 - Faerie Swarm is pretty much just a PVP talent, but I am not a PVPer so I don't take it.  Your choice is basically between Mass Entanglement and Typhoon.  Typhoon is very useful for blowing away any adds that you might aggro so the tank has more time to pick them up.  I've found it to be very useful.  Mass Entanglement might be good if there are a lot of adds to root, like maybe with Immerseus, but I usually don't take it.

4. Level 60 - It's kind of a toss-up between these three.  Incarnation gives a great raid cooldown, but it takes a lot of mana to use it to its fullest.  I like to be more conservative with my mana.  Soul of the Forest is decent but I find that its output isn't that good.  I currently have Force of Nature, purely because I'm lazy.  I usually make sure I have a tree up at all times.  It's also good to use if you need to dodge something, drop a tree and there's some extra healing to make up for what you use by moving.

5. Level 75 - These talents are very situational and will depend on which boss you are fighting.

6. Level 90 - Heart of the Wild and Nature's Vigil are fairly neck and neck, but I don't really see people using Dream of Cenarius.  I have no interest in DPSing while I'm healing.  If I wanted to do that I'd be a smite priest.  Maybe that's more of a PVP thing.  I really think you can pick either of the other two and you'll be just fine.  I have Nature's Vigil and macro it into Force of Nature and it's just fine.  The one bad thing about Nature's Vigil is remembering to use it, for me.  Sometimes I forget to drop my tree but I'm working on that.  It may be easier to macro Heart of the Wild into Tranquility because it's the same cooldown time and they're both sort of OH SHIT cooldowns.

7 Level 100 - These are all decent cooldowns.  I personally have Germination.  When I look at logs, I see a lot of healing done from my second Rejuv from Germination.  It can, however, be mana intensive to drop two Rejuvs.  Moment of Clarity sounds good in theory, but rarely in fights do you have time to stand still and get the most out of 7 seconds to cast.  You'll have to move and waste a few seconds of the proc.  I've used Rampant Growth but the issue with it is that it consumes your Rejuv on use, and constantly reapplying them is a pain in the butt.  And because it has no cooldown, there is no limit to how much you could do this.  You can Rejuv, Swiftmend, Rejuv, Swiftmend, on and on and on until you run your mana down to zero.  I just like Germination.

Thank you for reading Part 1 of my Restoration Druid guide, please stay tuned for Part 2!