Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Destiny: The Taken King PlayStation4 System Bundle Review

So, I bought the new Destiny: The Taken King PlayStation 4 bundle.  It was $399 and my mom bought it for me with her Kohl's card as sort of a birthday/Christmas present... because why pay with money when you can use a credit card?  This is going to be like a REVIEW review but more like an overview and my thoughts on the system.

So the system itself is GORGEOUS.  I personally hate how most consoles are just that plain matte black.  I love things to be colorful and all my furniture is white, so the console matches my color scheme I have going on.  It has the Destiny symbol on it and the map of the cosmos on it in gold, while the console itself is white.


It comes with a white wireless controller.  Which I'm glad I looked at the box and noticed as I was checking out because I almost bought another one because I didn't realize the controller was wireless.  I think I've said before that I prefer wireless peripherals, and that includes stuff for my consoles.  When I bought my PlayStation 3 I got a wireless controller for that too.  The controller does this thing when it's on where the front lights up this pale blue color that I so pretty.  Kinda makes me want to play in the dark just so I can see the light better.  The controller also has this black pad thingy between the sticks that seems to be buttons but I haven't found what they're for yet.

There are a couple niggles I have with the system.  It dropped the Internet connection a couple times when I was downloading video apps and putting in my passwords and stuff.  I don't think it was my Internet itself, I think it was the system being finicky, because my Internet doesn't really drop like that.  Also, on the box for the system, it shoes the system vertical in a stand, and the system doesn't come with the stand shown.  It's not a big deal to me because you can get those on the cheap, but that seems kinda like false marketing to me.  I also wish the front had more USB ports.  It only has two, so I need one for the controller and one more for a headset, what if I want to plug in another controller?  What do I do?


Speaking of headsets, I am pleased to report that my Skullcandy PLYR 2 does work with the PS4.  I was kinda worried it wouldn't.  I just had to do a firmware update and connect the transmitter to the PS4.  I had to email Skullcandy to get that info though because there is nothing on their website about how to use the headset with a PS4.  But if I did end up having to buy another headset to use with my PS4, I was going to buy a purple Razer Kraken Pro Neon.  Because colors.

I haven't played a lot of the game itself so I can't really comment on that too much.  I am not a huge fan of first person shooters so the controls are a bit difficult for me.  I wish there was an option to zoom out and play third person style, like the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex game I have for PS2 that I'm really good at, and is third person.

I was pleasantly surprised by the character creation.  It's not super in-depth but I like being able to choose my basic features and gender.  She has purple skin.  I played through the tutorial and have made it to the Tower.  I disconnected when I got to the jump ship but I was glad that I didn't have to start all over again to get where I was.

Because I got the bundle, there is an item that lets you level up to 25 and begin the Taken King content, but I don't think I'll do that because I want to experience the game.


The system comes with a physical copy of Destiny and a code to download all the rest of the content.  It took like 5 hours to download the game, so I just slept because it was pretty late.

I wish the PS4 was backwards compatible.  I don't have a lot of old games because I'm mostly a PC gamer but I don't like having to keep an old console just to play a game.

Overall, I love this system and hopefully it will get used as more than just a Netflix machine.  It's a bit difficult to tear myself away from the computer but Destiny looks like a promising game, if I can get used to the hinky controls.

As far as #IntPiPoMo goes, I think screenies and pictures I take myself I'm going to count, but if I just take a pic from Google I'm not going to count it as part of my 50, because where's the fun in that?  So the pics I take of the system are going to count.  Because I say so :D


Picture Count: 8/50

All pictures taken by me.