Monday, November 13, 2017

Opinion on New D.Va and Mercy changes


Recently there were some changes in Overwatch that affected the characters of D.Va and Mercy.  D.Va was given missiles and a shorter shield time.  Mercy's ult was changed and she was given a rez that is on a 30-second cooldown as opposed to being her ult.



As for the D.Va changes, I have to say I really like them.  I was literal garbage at D.Va before the changes.  Now I have a real feel for the character and I love diving in and charging someone with my guns blazing and my missiles going off on someone, and finishing it off with a good old fashioned bitchslap.  I find that I have more eliminations.  I feel like now D.Va plays like a DPS with more armor, which I like because I haven't yet found a DPS I'm actually good at (RIP).  I like the addition of the ranged missiles as a finisher to get rid of someone whose health is low or as a distraction.  I'm not too sad to see the duration of the shield shortened, as I usually only pop it for small durations anyway, like to block an ult until I can get out of the way or while diving in.  The changes make D.Va more versatile and easier to play.  She's sort of my main now.


I'm a little more iffy on the changes made to Mercy, though I can definitely see why they made them.  It's nice having a cooldown on the resurrection instead of having to wait for that perfect time to hit Q.  The one thing I'm concerned about is how Mercy can possibly get Play of the Game now without that quintuple rez.  I've only seen ONE Mercy PotG in the last few weeks, and that was a very good battle Mercy.  I miss the way her glide ability used to work.  I loved flinging myself around.  I don't like the much shortened range.  Her new ult IS nice though.  It's like Orisa's Supercharger, except healing.  You channel a heal on one person and it's buffed and bounces to nearby people.  The damage boost beam works the same way.  I wish they'd stop changing Mercy already.  She's fine the way she is.


I've been having a really good time playing Overwatch lately, especially since I haven't played World of Warcraft in a couple months.  I will eventually come back of course.  I just need a break.  I've also enjoyed playing Bastion (so trolly).  I bounce mainly from D.Va to Mercy to Bastion.  If all three happen to be taken I pick either Sombra or Pharah even though I'm garbage at both of them.  My aim is just really bad.  That's part of the I love Bastion, D.Va, and Mercy.  You don't have to be able to aim.